Tuesday, September 11, 2007
A couple of years ago I designed a basketful of 3D flowers for the newsletter. I had intended on attaching them to a pillow. Two years later they were still laying on the top of a box waiting. I had to move them off of the box top to get into the box and I slid them onto one of my black craft bags. They looked pretty good, so I took the long car ride to the family reunion to sew them down. I was sewing them onto a bag stuffed full of picnic stuff like extra jeans shirts jackets and whatever didn't fit into the picnic hamper, so they didn't get positioned quite where I wanted them and I wasn't about to un-stitch them. Fortunately there were a couple of little butterflies stuck in the bag just the right size to fill in the gaps. So here's the first of my bags.
I figure I'll have to do 3 bags because as I posted on my personal blog, I already have 2 pre-made bags and the whole point of this exercise was to make a bag from jeans. My jeans are black and both bags are black so it looks like a black background is going to be a recurring theme.
Saturday, September 8, 2007
It needs more butterflies and flowers, but the right side of the front of my jeans purse is nearly done. The free-form bit seems to work as a pond -- at least the family thinks it does. That's one of Jane Eborall's flamingos standing in the pond (the Pamela Myers version), and Jane's swan. I decided the swan had to be a duck, though -- the size compare to the flamingo means it's too little to be a swan. The fishes I found somewhere on the web years ago and have been doing them as doodles ever since. If you recognize them as yours, please let me know! [11-10-2007, found the fish -- they are Sharon Albers' "Little Fishies"] Finally I've done a lot of four ring butterflies to set off the profile butterfly by Sherry Pence. Then I modified Sherry's pattern slightly and made a whole butterfly with it. Still -- it needs more little flowers and more little butterflies. I'm going to make more and sew 'em on as soon as my hand is working right (er, left...)